While Louisiana College burns, students and parents of students have begun to sign a statement that calls for the Board of Trustees to act immediately regarding several issues at the college.
I join my fellow graduate student Drew Wales in posting a “student statement” at LCStudents.org The one page site lists several issues that are causing students to consider leaving Louisiana College. The five statements of concern are:
- The latest non-reappointment of professors Jason Hiles, Kevin McFadden, and Ryan Lister.
- The potential for other non-reappointments in like fashion.
- The college’s recent lack of support for theological diversity within the limits of the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.
- The possibility that these issues will cause a split between faculty and students of the college.
- The potential threat these issues pose for reaccreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
The list of signatures will only be seen by the administrators of the site and the Louisiana College Board of Trustees. It is our hope that the statement and signatures will send a clear message to the Board of Trustees that tuition paying students and parents are serious about seeking out other institutions of higher education.
We are blown away by the number of signatures gained within just 24 hours! Here are a few ways you can help:
- Sign the statement at LCStudents.org if you are a Louisiana College student or parent of current student
- Follow and share Twitter.com/LCStudentsOrg
- Like and share Facebook.com/LCStudentsOrg
- Tell friends and family about LCStudents.org